To all afraid of dessert tolls, never fear: this recipe is from the Cooking Light book my mom gave me. So it has to be healthy, right? I actually made some modifications when I tried it that made it even healthier, though I'd like to try the original some time.
Ingredients:
2 tbsp. butter (I used margarine)
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 (15.5 oz.) can pineapple slices in juice, undrained
1 cup flaked sweetened coconut (I skipped this, since I didn't have any)
1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup mashed ripe banana (about 1 banana) (I used applesauce)
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 large egg
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Melt butter in a 9-inch cast-iron skillet; sprinkle evenly with brown sugar. Drain pineapple slices over a bowl, reserving 1/2 cup juice. Place 1 pineapple ring in center of pan. Cut remaining pineapple rings in half and arrange around center pineapple ring. Sprinkle evenly with coconut. Set aside.
3. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup, and level with a knife (Side note: this is how the book recommends always measuring flour. When you measure flour by scooping with the cup measure, you compress it and end up using 3 tablespoons or so too much flour, which is bad for recipes.). Combine flour and next 5 ingredients in a large bowl. Combine reserved 1/2 cup juice, banana, oil, and egg, stirring with a whisk. Add pineapple juice mixture to flour mixture, stirring until combined. Pour flour mixture over coconut. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Invert onto a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature. Yield: 10 servings. (Calories 301, 9g fat, 54.8g carbs, 1.4g fiber)
After I made this, and Jeff saw the pile of dishes in the sink, he started singing, "Oh ye mountains high..." I love him.
No comments:
Post a Comment