skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Fruits of the Season
I’ve been reading a little of the book “Animal, Vegetable, Miracle,” which is a nice change from my typical fantasy fare and makes me feel educated and actually able to talk about something interesting. It inspired me to try to be more local with my food shopping, and I decided to try that in a small way by going to the Farmers’ Market in downtown Palo Alto. So on a Saturday in early November I tried it .... and I loved it! The food was actually about the same price as produce from the big grocery store chain around here, and I really loved the atmosphere. I loved talking to the sellers and asking them where the food came from or how to cook something I’d never seen or tried before (like some gorgeous yellow-orange beets). And I loved seeing the beautiful colors and unique varieties of produce. Plus the grapes we got were extra-delicious.
I'm afraid my enthusiasm for going out of my way to get fresh, local produce waned a bit after we no longer had a friend's car to borrow to get there. And there were some downsides (worms in the lettuce and such). But it was a good adventure. Now to find an easier way to become a locavore...
1 comment:
Very artistic photo of the beets. Did they taste good?
Post a Comment